Alumni Fund Grants
The Alumni Fund is money donated by graduates and community members of the University who wish to give back and support current and future students.
The Alumni Fund Grants program is one of the many ways that money raised through the Alumni Fund is invested back into the University.
The program awards grants of up to $30,000 for innovative projects and activities that are focused on enhancing the student experience and the University community.
Applications are open year round to all current students and staff at the university and are selected for funding each semester by the Alumni Fund Grants Committee.
Applications are now open!
The Alumni Fund is now accepting applications for Round 1 grant funding, closing 9.00am Monday 27 March 2017.
All current students and staff members at UWA are encouraged to apply.
Key information for applicants
Grant funding of up to $30,000.00 will be awarded to projects that:
- meet a clearly expressed student need
- benefit a broad number of students
- enhances the student experience and wider UWA community
Example: purchase of equipment for a student group, support for a new volunteering program, enhanced teaching and learning pilot programs, support for a student-led community event.
What type of projects will not be considered?
- Research projects which are eligible for grants from standard research grant sources
- Retrospective funding for projects
- Recurrent funding for operations
- Replacement staff costs for sabbatical or other leave
- Staff conference funding
- Projects that will directly or indirectly support other charities or organisations with charitable status
Since 2013, over $850,000 has been awarded to 45 projects across the university! Below is the full list of projects that have been selected for grant funding to date.
UWA Student Guild Club TEDxUWA connected students to local thought leaders and global ideas for change with 2016 grant project TEDxUWA: Changing Perceptions
2016 Projects - Semester 2
- UWA Student Guild International Students Service – Multicultural Week: Spring Feast
- UWA Cultural Precinct – Big Draw Festival at UWA
- TEDxUWA – Changing Perceptions
- School of Social Sciences – Engaging UWA Students with Africa
- Centre for Opthalmology and Visual Sciences – Eyeballs made Easy
- Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics – Biohack WA: Workshops in DIY Biology
- Graduate School of Education – Mentoring Education Students Placed in Disadvantaged Schools (People’s Choice Award)
2016 Projects - Semester 1
- UWA Sports - Social Sports Upgrade
- Student Services - Airport Meet and Greet Project
- Student Services - Developing Employability Skills through Work Integrated Learning
- Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts - Animated Art: Enhanced Learning through Gamification
2015 Projects - Semester 2
- Student Guild, UWA Debating – Australasian Debating Championship 2016
- Faculty of Arts – Building the Archaeology Teaching Collection
- Faculty of Arts, School of Music – Discovering Musical Creativity through New Technology
- Human Resources, Equity and Diversity – Enhancing the University Experience of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Students at UWA
- UWA Dental Students Society – Dentistry Common Room Refurbishment
2015 Projects – Semester 1
- UWA Medical Students Association – Global Health Conference 2015
- Student Guild, Pelican Magazine – Pelican Magazine Website and Marketing
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences – Using Pathology to Promote Health
- Faculty of Science, School of Physics – Desktop CT Scanner for Medical Imaging
- Faculty of Law – Facilitating Student Engagement and Well-Being in the Law School
- Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics – Reconstruct: Western and Noongar Ways of Knowing and Practicing Engineering: A Community Service Learning Program
2014 Projects - Semester 2
2014 Projects - Semester 1
- School of Physics – Learning Mysteries of Quantum Mechanics (Laboratory Equipment)
- Business School & CATL – Students Helping Students (MyGuru Online Learning)
- University Theatres – Dolphin Theatre Lighting Desk
- WA Student Television UWA – Filming Equipment
- Public Affairs Council, Student Guild – Fringe Festival
- Richard Maher (UWA staff) – ‘Winjee’ Interactive Campus App
- St Catherine's College – ‘Growing Community’ Garden
2013 Projects - Semester 2
- Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts - Placing students in remote Aboriginal Art Centres
- Faculty of Arts - Intercultural Learning at home: promoting internationalization on campus
- Faculty of Law - Law for Social Justice @ UWA
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences - Pathology Education and Learning Centre
- Faculty of Science - Community-led cross-cultural studies in plant biology and management in south-west Australia
- Albany Centre - Albany Camp for Kids
- Business School - Teaching & Learning Innovation Acceleration
- Finance and Resources - University Hall Aboriginal Cultural Project
- Registrar’s Office - Your career starts here: developing employability skills from first year
- Registrar’s Office - Building our brand: development of a UWA app for student engagement
- Student Guild - Under the Rug (Students Passionate About Mental Health): A mental health awareness campaign